Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. The condition is potentially serious as it is also linked to many other health risks.
When it comes to preventing gum disease, preventative dentistry and education are key. Check out these six informative links on gum disease to help you achieve a smile that’s not just beautiful, but healthy too.
1. Our mouths are breeding grounds for bacteria, which can cause plaque and tartar buildup. When too much plaque and tartar build up in the mouth, it can lead to gum disease. While we can never rid our mouths completely of bacteria, we can prevent plaque and tartar buildup with proper dental hygiene and routine visits to the dentist.
2. Think before you light up that cigarette. Smoking and tobacco use is linked to a slew of health risks, including heart disease, lung cancer and gum disease.
3. Are you stressed out? Stress can actually worsen gum disease by weakening the immune system. Fortunately, there are lots of ways to reduce stress. Eating a diet rich in whole foods, getting enough sleep and regular exercise are a great place to start.
4. Eat your greens! A healthy diet has been proven to decrease your risk of developing gum disease.
5. There are numerous treatments for gum disease, ranging from non-surgical to surgical treatments, as well as dental implants.
6. Although it’s rare, gum disease can occur in children and teens.
At Daxon Dentistry, we believe the best dentistry is always preventative. That’s why Dr. Daxon carefully screens each patient for gum disease and treats patients who have all forms of gum disease. If you’re concerned about gum disease or are in need of any other dental services, contact us today or schedule an appointment online.